*

10 pounds down 32 pounds to go!

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

"We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker"

Yesterday I had a "re-interview and workshop" regarding my unemployment benefits. I was extremely freaked out about it but it turned out to be as big a waste of time as any workshop I've ever been to and not at all scary. There were at least three people who interjected useless things about every three minutes and one asking the world's stupidest questions every two minutes so it was exactly like every other workshop I've ever been to. "What website are all these jobs on?" "This is the website." "But what is it linked to, these jobs are on a website" 'This is the website, these jobs are on this website" "But what does it link to". It was awful. Four hours of the importance of having a resume and creating your own email account. It was a waste of time except for about 10 minutes when they discussed self employment and job training. I could be a plumber and kill two birds with one stone.

I am going to talk to them about self employment and essentially beg for help. There was a very long discussion about survival jobs....the jobs people have while they're looking for the jobs they want. I've had survival jobs since I stepped foot in Maine and the one I thought would change all that made me miserable and unemployed. I've been job searching for five years and I'm tired of it. There's nothing here to be found. I'm beginning to think it's time for a big change. I'm going to see what options I have with the career counselor folk who are clearly desperate to get us all back to work and out of their hair. I'm running out of options and discussion of my moving went very badly not that I expected different. Things at the moment stink and I'm seeing very few ways out.

2 comments:

Keetha said...

I haven't read it but I've heard great things about the book, "48 Days to the Work You Love."

(The workshop sounds terrible. Just because one is unemployed doesn't mean they don't have better things to do with one's time.)

Rebecca said...

awe lady, i'm sorry.

i have no other words of wisdom.

sending you many cyberhugs tho.